At Dr. Lili & Associates, we understand the importance of making informed decisions about your oral health. By understanding the benefits and considerations of each option, you can make a choice that aligns with your unique needs and lifestyle. To make the decision easier for you, we’re going to tell you about the differences between the treatment options so that you can confidently answer the question, “Which orthodontic treatment is right for me?”
Why Do People Consider Treatment?
Before we dive into the different treatment options, let’s discuss why you might desire braces. Your reason for starting care can help you determine which treatment is best for you. Here are some primary reasons why individuals seek orthodontic care:
- Aesthetic Concerns: One of the most common reasons is the desire for a straighter, more attractive smile. Aligned teeth can significantly boost your self-esteem and make a lasting first impression.
- Functional Issues: Misaligned teeth or a misfitting bite can lead to difficulty chewing, speaking, and breathing. Orthodontic treatments can address these operational challenges, ensuring the mouth and air passageways operate optimally.
- Prevention: Crowded or overlapping teeth can be harder to clean, making them more susceptible to decay and gum disease. By straightening your teeth, you can reduce the risk of dental complications in the future.
- Jaw Disorders: Conditions like TMJ (temporomandibular joint disorder) can cause pain and discomfort in the jaw. Orthodontic interventions can help soothe these symptoms by realigning the jaw and teeth. A proper alignment allows equally dispersed pressure on the jaw joints and helps them open and close efficiently.
Now, let’s talk about treatment options!
Comprising small metal brackets attached to each tooth and connected by a wire, metal braces shift teeth into their desired positions by applying gentle pressure.
Modern advancements have made today’s metal braces more comfortable and less noticeable than ever. As the most durable treatment option, they offer a reliable solution for simple to complex cases. Though often associated with teenagers, metal braces are suitable for patients of all ages.
You must adjust your diet and oral hygiene routine to protect your metal braces and oral health.
Ceramic braces offer a discreet alternative to traditional metal braces without compromising effectiveness. With brackets made of tooth-colored ceramic material and matching ligatures, they blend seamlessly with the natural color of teeth, making them less noticeable at a glance.
Functionally, ceramic braces operate similarly to their metal counterparts. However, the ceramic material is less durable, requiring patients to be a bit more cautious with their dietary choices to avoid breakage. Patients also might spend more time in treatment with clear braces because they cannot handle as intense adjustments as the metal option.
Clear braces offer a less conspicuous treatment method with the benefits of traditional orthodontic techniques’ proven effectiveness. It’s a harmonious blend of aesthetics and functionality, perfect for adults and older teens.
If you don’t need something as heavy-duty as metal braces but clear braces don’t offer the flexibility you need, we also offer clear aligners. This treatment option is a top choice for those seeking a combination of discretion and effectiveness. At Dr. Lili & Associates, we proudly offer the leading in-office brand Invisalign and our custom brand, Clear Choice Aligners.
Clear aligners have the most subtle aesthetic. Most people won’t know you’re undergoing treatment unless you tell them! The trays for both brands are custom-made for every patient, giving you a snug and comfortable fit that is hard to notice.
The removability of the trays allows users to make little to no changes to their lifestyle. You are not required to change your diet or routine because you must remove the aligners for tray maintenance, oral hygiene, and eating and drinking anything other than water. If you wear the trays for twenty-two hours a day, you can make minimal changes to your lifestyle without sacrificing your treatment experience or results.
Invisalign is available for children, teens, and adults with mild orthodontic needs. Clear Choice Aligners are available for teens and adults.
Aligners can straighten teeth in as little as six months, but neglecting or forgetting to wear the aligners can prolong your overall treatment time. Breaking or losing the trays can also extend your journey and increase your treatment costs. Unclean trays can cause oral health issues, like tooth decay and gum disease, that could cause pain or damage to your smile. Before choosing clear aligners as your treatment option, be sure you can commit to wearing and cleaning the trays as instructed every day.
So, How Do I Know Which Treatment Is Right For Me?
After a thorough examination, one of our excellent orthodontists will help you choose which suits you by explaining the options you qualify for and their differences. Which braces are best depends on the severity of your alignment needs and your daily routine. To help you choose, you should consider the following:
- Would you prefer if your braces are fixed or removable?
- Can you handle the responsibility of removable braces?
- Can you adjust your diet and oral hygiene routine to accommodate fixed braces?
- Do you care how noticeable your treatment is to others?
- Do you need a heavy-duty option?
- How severe are your alignment needs?
- Would you like the treatment to be finished as soon as possible?
- Are you able to adequately clean around your metal or clear braces?
For the most beneficial and pleasant experience, carefully research your qualifiable options and realistically think about applying them to your lifestyle.
For Personalized Advice, Visit Dr. Lili & Associates!
The easiest way to decide which treatment is right for you is to visit the smile experts at Dr. Lili & Associates! Every smile is different, so your treatment plan should be too. Our experienced, knowledgeable staff can answer all your questions and create a personalized treatment plan for you!
Schedule your free consultation at one of our seven locations in Anaheim, El Monte, Huntington Park, Lawndale, Los Angeles, Santa Ana, and Whittier!