Traditional Treatment With a Modern Twist
Modern self-ligating braces feature strong stainless steel brackets and wires. At Dr. Lili & Associates, they’re a tried-and-true choice for correcting many orthodontic conditions.
Metal Self-Ligating Braces
Self-ligating metal braces use the same materials as traditional braces; however, self-ligating metal braces do not require elastics, meaning fewer appointments and less friction on the tooth.
Self-ligating metal braces come with traditional metal, ceramic, or clear brackets. They are the same size as metal braces, but with more options, they can provide a more aesthetic appearance, particularly for adult patients.
How Do Self-Ligating Braces Work?
Self-ligating metal braces use a specialized clip in place of elastics to help the archwire guide teeth to place.
The clip helps reduce the amount of pressure on the tooth and decreases the number of adjustments because there are no elastics to replace.
Types of Self-Ligating Braces
Passive — Passive brackets use a smaller archwire that creates less friction and allows teeth to move more freely. Passive brackets are often used at the beginning of treatment to help the teeth start moving into position.
Active — Active brackets use a thicker archwire that delivers greater pressure to the teeth and more aggressively moves them into position. The active brackets also offer more control for consistent, strong results.
Things to Consider
- Traditional braces use metal or plastic ligatures to hold the archwire into the bracket.
- It takes longer to remove and replace ligatures, and there is a chance for additional ligation friction, trapped debris and bacteria, and degradation over time (which may mean more frequent replacement).
- Ligations may also discolor over time.
- Self-Ligating braces use a built-in mechanism to hold the archwire.
- This mechanism allows for shorter appointments because wire changes are quicker.
- The clips add less friction and may allow for longer intervals between appointments.
- They also trap less debris and bacteria around the perimeter of the bracket.
Learn More About Orange County Braces
Self-ligating metal braces are an excellent option for patients needing braces. Your orthodontist can help you determine what type of braces will be most effective for your smile.
Please contact one of our seven Los Angeles and Orange County offices to schedule your orthodontic consultation.