Braces for Children, Teens & Adults
At Dr. Lili & Associates, we believe that everyone should have the opportunity to enjoy orthodontic care and a stunningly straight smile.
We’re proud to offer a full range of orthodontics for children, teens, and adults at our offices in Southern California.
Orthodontics for Children
While there is no exact age for children to begin orthodontic treatment, the American Association of Orthodontists recommends visiting the orthodontist around age seven.
By this age, most children have a mix of baby and adult teeth, making it easier for the orthodontist to diagnose and correct tooth and jaw problems sooner and without surgery.
Benefits of Early Treatment
- Correct and guide the growth of your child's jaw to help the permanent teeth come in straight
- Regulate the width of the upper and lower arches
- Create more space for crowded teeth
- Avoid the need for permanent tooth extractions later in life
- Correct finger/thumb sucking and help improve minor speech problems
Signs Your Child Could Benefit from Treatment
For parents, it's not always easy to know if your child may need orthodontic treatment. Here are a few things to look for that may mean your child needs to see an orthodontist:
- Early or late loss of baby teeth
- A hard time chewing or biting food
- Mouth breathing
- Finger/Thumb Sucking
- Crowded, misplaced, or blocked teeth
- Jaws that pop or make sounds when opening and closing
- Teeth that come together abnormally or not at all
- Jaws and teeth that are not proportionate to the rest of the face
- Crowded front teeth around age seven or eight
Please contact our practice to schedule an appointment for an orthodontic evaluation. Early treatment will give your child a healthy, beautiful smile for the future.
Orthodontics for Teens
You've just heard the three words that every teen dreads: “YOU NEED BRACES!” What now?
Don't worry! Braces aren't nearly as scary as you may think. Braces today come in various styles, materials, and colors, making life with braces much easier, more comfortable, and even more stylish than in the past.
The amount of time it takes to treat your smile with braces depends on three key factors:
- Early treatment — Early treatment allows orthodontists to monitor the growth of the jaw and recommend further orthodontic treatment if necessary. Not everybody receives early orthodontic treatment; in some cases, we may recommend waiting to start treatment.
- What needs correction — The amount of treatment necessary to correct a problem will determine how long the process takes. Everyone reacts to treatments differently. While it may take one person only 12 months to complete treatment, it may take another 24 months. Treatment times can vary depending on how quickly your body responds and how much work is needed to give you the show-stopping smile you want.
- YOU! — Your willingness to use the appliances your orthodontist gives you plays a major role in the time it takes to complete your treatment. Always take care of your braces and appliances to help shorten your treatment!
Braces Your Way
Dr. Lili & Associates offer you a variety of affordable braces, types, and styles to choose from, including:
- Clear aligners from Invisalign and Clear Choice (our in-house brand)
- Clear ceramic braces
- Self-ligating metal braces
Orthodontic braces are a big part of life for many people your age. While braces may have had a bad reputation in the past, today's braces make it easy to look good and feel good! Please contact us to schedule your free consultation.
Orthodontics for Adults
Orthodontic treatment is no longer just for teens. Adults everywhere are taking advantage of the opportunity to receive orthodontic care, and you can, too.
The American Association of Orthodontists states that one in five orthodontic patients is over 21. Many adults receive treatment because they understand the importance of maintaining their health and want to feel better about their appearance.
Reasons for Adult Treatment
- A bad bite or malocclusion, causing teeth to fit together incorrectly
- Teeth are crowded or spaced apart, possibly causing tooth decay or gum disease
- Abnormal jaw pain, or pressure that is caused by crooked teeth
- A desire for a healthier mouth and a more confident smile
Treatment Options for Adults
For many adults, the thought of having metal braces is enough to discourage them from receiving treatment. However, today's orthodontic treatment options offer a variety of braces and appliances that are comfortable, aesthetic, and customized to meet your needs. Types of braces include:
- Clear braces
- Self-ligating metal braces
Differences In Adult Orthodontics
The main difference to remember when treating adults or children and teens is that the jawbones are still developing in younger patients. For adults, these bones have stopped growing, which may mean the possibility of orthognathic surgery to align the jawbones. Other differences include:
- Gum or bone loss (periodontal disease) — Adults are more likely than children to experience gum recession or bone loss due to gingivitis or advanced periodontal disease. Patients with straighter teeth are less likely to get gum disease.
- Worn or missing teeth — Over time, teeth can become worn down and shift into different positions that we can only correct with orthodontic care. Missing teeth can cause other teeth to shift and tilt, creating a bad bite and increasing the possibility of gum disease.
- Incomplete orthodontic treatment as a teen — Many adults received some orthodontic treatment as a child or teen but never completed their treatment. As an adult, they choose to complete their orthodontic treatment to achieve the healthy, beautiful smile they always wanted.
Our practice also recognizes that adults and children have different needs and require different levels of attention and care. We will work with you to ensure that you receive the most appropriate treatments and meet your needs with understanding and respect.
Why You Should Consider Treatment
Straight Teeth are Healthy Teeth
Teeth that are properly aligned are easier to keep clean with flossing and brushing and may help prevent other health problems.
A Beautiful, Straight Smile Builds Confidence
Orthodontic treatment can help boost your self-confidence, giving you a better quality of life and the freedom to smile without holding back!
Mouths Left Untreated Can Get Worse
Not receiving orthodontic treatment when needed can create long-term health issues costing you more in the end.
Start With a Free Consultation
We understand that you have a busy schedule, and we will work with you to ensure each office visit is as convenient as possible. Contact our office to schedule a free consultation to learn more about the benefits of orthodontic treatment.